Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Thursday Tirade

Late last night (11:36 PM actually) I became a grandfather. I will use my anticipation of such event as the reason for me not posting my weekly opinion. I admit it is a shifty excuse but I am sticking to it. I am changing my weekly crusade from Opinionated Wednesdays to the Thursday Tirade. I would not want to piggy-back or interfere with Haiku Wednesdays.

I have been asked a few times if I should be called Grand Paw, Grand Daddy, Pap Paw or something else. I have thought about it awhile. My fraternal male grandparent (Dit) was called Grand Daddy (well one of my cousins called him Grand Father) while my maternal male grandparent was called Pap Paw. My oldest daughter called her maternal grandfather Pop Paw George and my father Grand Daddy. My youngest, The Rock Star Mentality, called my father Grand Paw T.W. The other two daughters called one of their grandfathers Poppy and the other Grand Paw. After much consideration and realizing what Kyleigh calls me will be what her siblings and cousins will refer to me as, I have decided I shall be called Big Cat Daddy or Big Cat for short.

Ok, now for my weekly opinion.

I work with a guy from West Virginia. He is a nice guy. He is a smart guy. That is pretty much uncommon with the company I am currently employed. It seems from time to time, he comes up with new adjectives. Recently the word he has been using a lot is ignorant.

So I am using his word to define how I feel about NASCAR. It is ignorant. Come on guys, it really is. On the way to South Carolina we passed Talladega Speedway on IH 20. It was empty and desolate. On our return trip this past Saturday all of the camp sites in front of the track and adjacent to the interstate where packed. There was a haze of smoke from camp fires etc. It looked like a lot of fun. I realize that our country is having a major economic crisis, but judging from the thousands of campers and motor homes, the NASCAR Nation is not hurting at all. In the background of all of the campers was the grandstand of the race track. I could barely make it out in the fading sunlight and smoke. I arrived home at about 8:00 AM and I went to sleep. Later that evening I watched the news and they showed the highlights of the days' race. There was number 99 flying through the air at the finish. What sickened me was the announcers. Those blood thirsty assholes were calling the race and you could tell that the crash (which was pretty dramatic) could very well be deadly. Yet the announcers almost sounded gleeful.
Admit it, please. The typical NASCAR crowd wants to see crashes. Lots of them. Many drive around with a #3 with a halo over it on clothing and caps and stickers on their cars and trucks. I guess they are are honoring a man who died because he refused to wear proper safety equipment. Yes it is pretty much understood that he did have the option (in fact he was instructed to do so)to wear the restraint that would have saved his life,but he simply refused to do so. He was the Intimidator. Well I have another name for him......DEAD. Is that the sort of thinking my new grand daughter should have? Yep the word ignorant comes to mind once more.
It seems that NASCAR is being forced upon us. Working near the epicenter of NASCAR, Charlotte , N.C. gave me the opportunity to hear a lot about NASCAR. (whether I wanted to or not) The fact is that each year fewer and fewer sponsors are ponying up money for a bunch of guys to drive around in a circle. The networks are contemplating dropping NASCAR next year. Thanks be to God. And people make fun of me because I watch Professional Wrestling GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!

Now I like sports. I could argue that NASCAR is not really a sport at all, but I will forgo that. Personally I like college football. Well I actually like Louisiana State University Fighting Tigers Football. I suppose people can fault that sport too. So get you own blog and do so.




Come to think of it The Nature Boy lives in Charlotte too.

And that's how I feel,





Happy birthday Kyleigh Marie Roby.
Big Cat loves you.





The Third

1 comment:

  1. I always thought you would be called "Pappy" it seems so befitting, but I have to say I like Big Cat daddy!

    ReplyDelete