Sunday, April 12, 2009

Jack, the Bean Stalk and The Magical Seeds


Now I do not want to fall into the trap of submitting volumes of useless blable and a series of words with the intent of increasing my total of postings. I have been accused by several of my constituents of blogging out of boredom. Ok, for that reason I will be more attuned to such. I have a lot of work to do in order to get The Brew Chronicles, a journal of thingsBeer off the ground.

Now is the time to dispel any misgivings about beer. My readers need to have a knowledge of how to brew beer so I hereby submit Beer 101:

A long time ago in a different life. Well at least a different wife. A friend of mine from Northern California gave me some magical seeds. Unlike the story of Jack and the Beanstalk, I did not give away the milk cow for them. I kept them for a while and one day I took my high dollar stereo system and arranged the two speakers very close together. I then took two saucers and placed a moistened paper towel on one of them. I then carefully spread the magical seeds on the towel. Then I covered the magical seeds with another wet cloth and then placed the other saucer on top of them. I set the saucers (with the magical seeds) on an antique "corner table" (the only piece of furniture salvaged from my late grandmothers house prior to it being burned down by an arsonists) and I placed a pristine LP named Dark Side of the Moon on my turntable and turned the volume up. I wanted the sound waves to permeate the magical seeds. For about 10 hours I played various LPs including Highway 61 Revisited, Physical Graffiti; Making Movies; Live at Leeds ; Gaucho; Routes to Django Reinhardt; Year of the Cat; Breakfast in America; Fragile and Abraxas. Sure enough those little magical seeds began to sprout little tails (sprouts). I gently took each of them and nestled them in a bed of potting soil inside of a large planter (on wheels). I placed the planter in front of one of the speakers and for the next few days various tunes passed over and through the planter. A few days later small green leaves began to break the surface of the soil. Once I could recognize distinct stalks for each of my babies, I rolled the planter outside into my back yard. About five plants actually began to grow pretty good. I watched them each day. I nourished them and watered them and admired God's handy work. After a couple of weeks my babies were nearly 3 feet high and were quite bushy. The first Mrs. The Third was beginning to think that the plants would grow to a height over our wooden fence and the children on the way to school would be able to see my babies. I wheeled the planter inside the house and let it grow under some lamps that I purchased at a local "surf" shop. It was not too long and I noticed that it too was beginning to form some sort of like growth. I informed some of my friends of this phenomenon and I was informed those growths were "buds" .I guessed the buds were going to be producing magic seeds. The buds grew larger each day and began to develop little red or orange strands or hairs around them. The leaves of my babies were beginning to grow much larger and darker. The babies kept getting larger and larger and my wife was beginning to complain that the planter was taking up too much room in our closet. Then all of a sudden it seemed as if the plants (my babies) were dying. My magical seeds had finally reached the end of their lives. I felt the only proper way to dispose of my babies was to cremate them. So that is what I did (a little at a time). It was a occasion that I felt mixed emotions. What I can recall is that I got very hungry and I got a bad case of Chinese eyes.

Now lets review this story and go back to when my magical seeds grew their tails. the actual term for this process is germinate. If you take a seed of a grain (starch) such as , barley, rice, wheat or oats you can do the same thing. Perhaps not with the music waves (but feel free if you want) this is the sort of thing we all did in the first or second grade with a bean. Remember? Anyway at that point in the process you stop. You take the the germinated seeds and stop the process. In fact you let the seeds (with the tails) completely dry. when you get to this point you will have "malted" the seed (s)
The technical side is:
The acrospire (the plant shoot) grows along one side of the kernel. As it grows, pre-existing enzymes are released and new enzymes are created in the aleurone layer which "modify" the endosperm (the protein/carbohydrate matrix starch reserve) for the acrospire's use.
During germination enzymes in the aleurone layer are released, and new enzymes are created, that break down the endosperm's protein/carbohydrate matrix into smaller carbohydrates, amino acids and lipids, and open up the seed's starch reserves.
The purpose of malting is to create these enzymes, break down the matrix surrounding the starch granules, prepare the starches for conversion, and then stop this action until the brewer is ready to utilize the grain.

What you have in the end result is Malted Grain

We live near Waco, Texas. The water there taste like shit. We once worked a job in the San Joaquin Valley of California. The small town of Hanford is in the middle of nowhere. Well actually it is surrounded by dairy farms. The air smell like shit. The water taste even worse. I think in all likelihood the water actually did have shit in it. My father used to have a lake house in Sabine Parish Louisiana. It was near Toledo Bend. They had well water that was actually yellow in color and had large clumps of a cloudy substance every so often. they said the water was actually healthy. The overwhelming smell of sulphur made drinking the water unbearable. I mention all of this to warn you that if you plan on making beer do not do so in Hanford, Waco or Zwolle. Use good water. There is a reason why Portland has so many micro breweries and why Coor's spends millions on advertising the fact their beer is made with Rocky Mountain water. But you do have to use water to make beer.


Thus far we have half of the ingredients for beer. So now I depart from Beer 101. I leave you with this lesson. Look forward to part two ( Beer 102) where I discuss hops and yeast....



People in my life, particularly my family and friends will be an integral part of the series. I am not so sure what it will be like to have cameras in my face all of the time. I will just have to get used to it. I suppose I will have to clean up my language a little bit. I probably can not lay around the house in my Banana Republic boxers and tee shirts as frequently. I mentioned earlier that I would need to have certain things to reflect my status etc. I am sure I will need to temper my needs and desires.


As busy as I will be with the series, I hope that I will still be able to blog here. It is something I must work out.

Beer 102 BE THERE!!




The Third








No comments:

Post a Comment