Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Steady Hand to Victory

Well it now soon to be St. Paddy's Day again. I have always been proud of my Irish heritage. I admit it was drummed into me by my grandfather and father. But then again Sullivan or O'Sullivan is the third most common Irish name (behind Murphy and Kelly) in the world. Walsh is the fourth most common Irish name and my great great great grandmother was a Walsh. My great great grandmother was an O'Keefe. O'Sullivan or Sullivan is derived from Súilleabháin an Irish Chieftain born in 1193. He is considered the Patriarch of the Clan. The name is Gaelic for "dark-eyed". O’Sullivan is an ancient family. It is universally agreed upon, by all credible annalists and historians, that it represents the most senior bloodline of the Gaelic families. The royal family of the Gaelic Celts in Ireland was known as the Eoghanacht (pronounced Owen-noct), the descendants of Eoghan (pronounced Owen). The most senior branch of the Eoghanacht was the O’Sullivan clan. The significance of this can only be appreciated by comparing the status of the old Irish aristocracy with that of the rest of Europe. If the Irish had followed the English system of royal descent by primogeniture, and if Ireland had maintained its independence from England, an O’Sullivan would be king of Ireland today.
Only a few Irish families have received a battle flag.
Ours is shown above. If I ever were to get a tattoo that is what I would get.

There are three Septs of the family.

O'Sullivan-MacCragh








O'Sullivan-Mor








O'Sullivan-Beare











My branch of the O'Sullivan family tree is from the latter. The O'Sullivan-Beare Sept of the family hails from Counties Cork and Kerry. My great great grandfather (Michael Tomas O'Sullivan) was from County Cork. The family crest shown is the crest of O'Sullivan-Beare sept.


Tartans or family plaids are an old Celtic tradition. Nearly every family in Scotland has a family Tartan. In many cases they have several different ones. A hunting tartan or a formal tartan etc. Most families in Ireland have tartans. Only one Irish Family has more than one.

These tartans can be worn as ties or jackets, scarfs, hats and of course kilts. Theoretically one should only wear a tartan of his or her family or Sept. Or one can wear their country's tartan or the tartan of the County of their family's origin.

I have always fantasized that one day I would be wealthy enough to owned a full kilt kit. The kilt would be made of my family's tartan. I have several to choose from.


Pog Mo Thoin



The Third







No comments:

Post a Comment