Friday, December 23, 2011

Here We Go Again and Again and Again

I had pretty much put my blog "to rest" but this morning I woke up with a renewed vigor. I have been a funk for far too long. I look at many reasons for it but perhaps I have overlooked my lack of blogging as a culprit.

I realize that my blog is now in it's fourth year and I think that alone should be the impetuous for it's continuance. For that reason, I am picking up the keyboard again and I will be reviving The Chronicles. But for this posting, I have copied and pasted my Christmas/Festivus postings over the past three years. I made some insertions in each to update. The insertions are in bold italic......

Twenty three years ago today, The Mrs. The Third and I were living in at The Marymont in a small town northwest of Houston. She would allow her two children's "dad" exercise his "selective" visitation rights and take the two girls to his house for the Christmas holiday. He selected when he wanted to parade his children around his mother to show her how dutiful of a father he was. He also selected not to provide any financial support and he was selective in being involved and many aspects of our children's lives. Nowadays he tends to forget all of that baggage. I guess time, money and a fifth wife helps to fade some things.

It was a strange "Christmas". It would be the first that The Mrs The Third would spend without her children and the first she would spend with me. After the girls were gone we walked a few blocks to a small store and purchased a dried up skinny tree, a couple of strings of lights and two cheap and inexpensive ornaments. To this day, the red and blue "pitchers" find a place at the top of each of our subsequent trees...

This year finds the bride and I are alone together again. Our tree, given to us by our youngest daughter, has the two original ornaments at it's very top. There are several strings of lights and other ornaments collected over the years. There are multiple "baby's first Christmas" ornaments along with a cone from a giant Sequoia. There are pictures of our children attached to tree hangers and many handmade hangers brought home from school by our children. The tree is dried and beginning to smell. It will be out of the house on the 26th.

We purchased the 15 bean mix yesterday and will be soaking them tonight. The Soaking of the Beans. As much as my wife hates the mess I make, she does look forward to the bean soup.


Monday, December 22, 2008 (re-visited and edited)

Dies Natalis Solis Invicti


Well, once again I begin penning a new testament. As I have stated previously, my "blog" is a work in progress and since no one may ever actually read any of this or take it seriously, I must state this, my opus, is for no one other than yours truly. Perhaps one day in the distant future I may assemble my ramblings into one single volume and who knows....

The Christmas season has finally begun for me. My personal family history dictates that the season begins on December 13. That is my younger brother's birthday. Johnny hated his birthdays because in addition to his birthday gifts, he always received extra gifts which consisted of mostly ornaments and lights. John Lane is gone from this life but I must admit that when I see Christmas lights I always think of my departed brother.

2011--My second granddaughter Olivia Grace (chucknorris) was born on December 13, 2011 her "Great Uncle Dee's" birthday. She has made my brother's birthday now become hers. Since Johnny's passing, that day has always been bittersweet. Miss O G has given me a gift I never fathomed would be so special. I know that she is not my first grandchild (although she is Mama She She's first) but she is special because she is my "first's" " first". I look forward to next December 13 when I can give her Christmas lights and ornaments. Better yet I look forward to the December 13 in the future when she too will be pissed that Big Cat gave her Christmas light and ornaments. The Circle of Life music should be playing right now.

December 18th plays another significant part in my life. For some strange reason, I am drawn to this date. December 18 is actually the day I first met my wife. So I guess the day is still big. Several years back my Dad mailed to me a $ 1.49 bag of "15" bean soup. I received it on the 22nd of December and I recall that I ended up following it's directions and made a pot of bean soup on Christmas Eve. Now over 20 years later, I still do. The beans need to be soaked overnight so I do that on the 23rd and then mess up the kitchen on the next day. So the annual "soaking of the beans" has become my own Christmas tradition.http://www.nkhurst.com/products.aspI give this tradition to anyone who wants its. My wife hates cleaning the mess and my daughters do not like beans or soup. So I suppose the tradition will die with me.

I would think most persons at one time in their life, has some sort of traditional thing. A lot of tradition surrounds the Christmas holidays. As I grew up, Christmas eve always found my mother, father , brother and I visiting my my Aunt Pete (my Mother's sister) and Uncle "Jay".

2011: --My Aunt Pete, the last of my mother's siblings, died on June 24, 2011. The 31st anniversary of my mother and brother's deaths. Vivian was 92. I miss her like crazy. Somehow I hope to find or receive her pastries recipes.

Later the Christmas gathering was at my Uncle Claude and Aunt Mable's down in the "country". I guess the older you get the less certain traditions are in fact traditional. Then again people do die so you can no longer gather at their house. Or in Aunt Mable and Uncle Claude's house, it blew up. That's another story I suppose.I am not fond of fake trees (well except the aluminum one my Aunt Pete had in her picture window.), nor do I care much for the statement that "Christmas is becoming more and more commercialized. " Of course it is commercialized. That started back in the Third Century.

I am a convert to the Catholic faith. For many years I was a "religious education" teacher (actually "certified" by the Cardinal). I feel that I did at least an adequate job. I was the only teacher the kids had that would teach them religion as well as instructing them on the fine qualities of a good cigars and good beer. Now you may be offended or think less of me but somehow, I made it work. The facts speak for themselves. Two of my former students are currently in the Seminary studying to become Catholic Priests. Another is seriously contemplating the priesthood. Jeff, one of the two former students in Seminary will be ordained, (I believe) sometime this coming year. He has a "Cuban" I once gave him and he swears he is waiting to smoke it upon his ordination. (I hope to be there).

2011:-- Jeff was ordained in 2009 and is a priest in the Galveston-Houston Archdiocese. I was working at a job in Washington state when he was ordained and I was unable to attend his ordination. Although I have not spoken to him I did verify from his proud grandfather, Wilfred, that he indeed smoked the Cuban I had given to him on the day of his ordination. His grandmother asked me why I gave him such a filthy habit. I consider that comment a compliment.

My strange influence will somehow continue through this future Father and currently Deacon Jeff. Scary thought eh? it. Anita, Cody, Danielle, Matthew (Phatty), David and Adam are names of persons of whom I stood as Confirmation sponsor. Most Catholics are never asked by anyone to sponsor them for Confirmation. I do not claim to be real authority on any particular subject, but I do know certain things and I am not afraid to repeat such. First of all, the Bible (at least the Christian one) was written by Catholics. That is an undisputed fact. (Trust me I can prove it). Yes, it was edited by many including the Protest Ants. The actual date of Jesus' birthday is not contained anywhere within the bible. The sneaky fish eaters came up with a plan that ultimately stole the 25th of December form the Pagans. Now the Catholics do have a feast day (Holy day of obligation actually) called Annunciation (Luke, Chapter 1, verses 26-38). It is celebrated on March 25. So if you deduct nine months later you have December 25.

Lately there seems to be a significant amount of uproar from some hard core and possibly not so hard core Christians as if "their holy day" is being taken over. The truth is that the day was a Pagan holiday a long time before the Papist or the Jingle Bell Protestants decided to dilute it by placing such a significant event to it. Personally I feel the celebration of the day of Christ's birth is far less important that the actual life of God made Man (Emanuel) and the sacrifice that he made.

Enough of my Religious rant.

A lot of good beer is brewed in connection with the holidays and to me, that is a good thing, regardless if you are Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Heretic or Pagan.


With all of this aside, I set here staring at my computer screen and and contemplating the perfect Christmas or Solis Invicti wish. My mind is blank as I look forward to the next few days being spent with my two oldest daughters and one of my sons in law.

2011: The Jim and The Prodigy along with their new addition "chucknorris" will not be here this year. The new baby is not yet two weeks old. The Prodigal will be spending Christmas Day with her loving and adoring father. The Rock Star Mentality,The New Mexican and their son Hayseed are visiting family in the snowy mountains of New Mexico. We will be visiting The Big Ranch, Jan Brady and Little Cat on Christmas morning. I hear we will be dinning on a traditional "brisket" meal.

(I am looking forward to both their arrival and departure). I have many beer (s) for The Jim to sample. I have a case of a beer from the oldest brewery in America (as one of his gifts). I sure hope he does not read this...It would ruin his surprise.


Wednesday,December 23, 2009 (re-visited and edited)

Family Tradition...The Soaking of the Beans


Well today is the day that I once again re enact a family tradition. As I wrote in one of my earlier blogs (Dies Natalis Solis Invicti --December 22, 2008), a few minutes ago I poured a packet of "15 beans" beans into a pot and will soak them overnight. Thus the soaking of the beans. I know it sounds strange or hokey, but it really does mean something to me. Traditions are easy to establish, difficult to maintain, and nearly impossible to pass on. But I am trying.

Today has been a good day. We visited Austin. We had a great breakfast at Mimi's , made a beer run at Spec's, visited Austin Brew Supply, did some Christmas shopping, purchased a Honey Baked Ham and then took a trip to visit Uncle Billy's Brew and Que. I had looked on the internet and saw that they had one of my favorite beers on tap. Sadly they ran out two days ago. On my friend Matt's (who was visiting family in Western Pa.) recommendation, I tried the Hop Zombie IPA. It was pretty damn good. I did have my taste up for Hell in Keller though. Well at least I have a reason to return now.

Happy Christmas!!!!!! Kyleigh (Little Cat), Levi (Little Man),Hastin (Hayseed), Olivia (chucknorris), Sarah, Travis, Kimmie, Tommy, Kristina, Jennifer, Jim, and Ann......

Friday, December 24,2010 (re-visited and edited)

First, Second and Sixtieth


Last night The Mrs The Third and i visited our grandson in the hospital. Hayseed is really doing well and I look forward to the day when he can go home to his mom and dad and none of the tubes and sensor wires are attached to him. I have a feeling it will not be too long actually. We took a red and white stocking cap(saying Baby's First Christmas) with us. We placed it on his head and took several pictures of him.

2011: --My grandson, Hayseed went home back in January, He has made unbelievable strides this year. I never thought I would be such a softy but each time I hold that boy I feel as if I am hold something so special that it could only be a gift from God.

Today, I took my annual pilgrimage to Austin and Honey Baked Hams. On the way back I stopped at Spec's and picked up a sixer of Abita's Christmas Ale (it is remarkable), A sixer of Harpoon UFO (Blue) for the wife and to my surprise I found a six pack of Moose Drool. I also purchased a twelve pack of Pearl (in cans).

2011:-- Due to our economic status and the condition of our tires on our car, I did not travel to Honey Baked Ham in Austin and purchase the annual ham. I truly miss it but I look forward to next year.


Although it will be Hayseed's first, I realize that tomorrow will be my sixtieth Christmas. Each one of them special. I don't recall any of them before I was 4 or 5. My grandchildren who will be celebrating their first or second Christmases probably will not recall tomorrow at all.

We are having a meager holiday and very few if any gifts will be exchanged. But in many ways this is going to be my favorite Christmas of all.

I have the glorious honor to have three (four) beautiful grandchildren. They are my gifts. The very best kind.













Cheers (Christmas)


So, there you have it. My 2011 Christmas edition blog.

Anyway....... Only one thing come to mind and I shall leave on that note.....


Pax Omnem Per Terram



The Third


Post Script: I am back.


So, there you have it. My 2011 Christmas edition blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment