Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Name is Big Cat


It really does not seem that long ago that I found my self kneeling on the floor in a cramped hospital waiting room. My wife was next door and about to give birth to my child. I recall simply asking God to make sure my wife and new child would be healthy.

This past year has found me becoming a grandfather. I look into the mirror and see glimpses of my grandfathers in my eyes. At 58 I am beginning to actually feel old. I remind myself that I am not that old yet the facts speak for themselves. Ringo Star will be 70 this year. Sir Paul McCartney is 68. Eric Clapton is nearly 65. David Bowie is 63. All of the members of the Rolling Stones, ZZ Topp, AC/DC ,Eagles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Fleetwood Mac and Aerosmith are all older than I am. Ozzy Osbourne is at least three years older than I am as is Carlos Santana,Billy Joel , John Melancamp, John Fogerty, and Jimmy Buffett. Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty are older than I as is Crosby, Stills Nash and even Young. Bob Dylan is over ten years older than I am. George Strait is younger than me. Only by seven months younger. I do not hear people calling these people old. Hell, they are music icons and still draw literally billions of dollars a yet in concert and music sales.
I wanted to be called Big Cat rather that grand paw or grandaddy. For some reason the parents of my granddaughter allow one grand parent to be called as she wants yet for some reason I must still be a grand paw. I have been a father for nearly thirty four years. I have have a teenager living in my house for nearly twenty years yet today is the last day I will be able to say that. My youngest will turn 20 tomorrow. Of the the four, she is wearing me out the most, yet I have to admit I still love her as much as I did when I was on my knees.


Happy Birthday Hoot

The Third (Big Cat)


Post Script
Who Dat?

No comments:

Post a Comment