Sunday, November 8, 2009

Brewing on the Party Patio

Buy a man a beer and he’ll waste an hour, teach him to brew and he’ll waste a lifetime"- Bob Stoddard


I realize in my last blog that while I asked for contributions I failed to mention how much I would actually need. This short blurb is in reply to inquires regarding same.

So I have been asked exactly do I need to commence my brewing journey.

I do not want to be too complicated but I want to be complete.

There are several online sites where one can order what ever he needs to become a home brewer. One of the more popular ones is Austin Homebrew Supply of which I have actually visited and have one of their tee shirts http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php

There are multiple “kits” / mixes that include all of the ingredients needed to make around 5 gallons of beer. (2 cases of 12oz bottles)
Essentially the kits (for IPAs ,Pale Ales, Porters and Hefeweizens) are the same a cake or cookie mix. Most include bottle caps for 50 bottles. These kits usually cost about $ 30-35. As I would learn the essentials of brewing I could venture out and begin to brew from scratch and eventually develop my own beers and ales.

As far as bottles are concerned, they can be recycled bottles that I have collected.

One thing that would be nice is a 45 Bottle Drainer Tree for $ 27.99 and Vinator Bottle Rinser for $ 18.99. Sanitation is essential in brewing and bottling good beer, The tee and rinser makes the process of bottle sanitation easier and much more efficient.

There are several “starter kits” ranging from just under one hundred bucks and going up to about four hundred dollars

They include just about every thing needed. The one I feel would best suit me would be the one called Super Deluxe Beer Making Equipment Kit it sells for $ 196.49 but I would need an additional component called a secondary fermenter. By having this, the end result (beer) will be much clearer. It would cost $ 25.98.

The first thing or first process of brewing beer is boiling water. Therefore I would need pot at least a 32 quart size. These can be purchased just about anywhere. The one I found at Austin Home Brew goes for $ 54.99.
Of course in order to boil water I must have a heat source and although the kitchen stove would work, I am afraid the Mrs. The Third may have a few issues with me invading her sanctuary. I would have much more room on the “party porch” and I could use a propane burner. Austin Home Brew sell one called Bayou Classic Outdoor Propane Burner available for $ 69.99
A pot and burner can be obtained nearly everywhere, including Academy and Wal-Mart
The burner and pot could be used for other purposes as well, including boiling crustaceans.

So the total cost to get me going….. $ 393.43 plus tax


I might suggest that my loyal readers consider banding together to make an investment in my brewing future.


Hoppily Yours

The Third,
Future Home Brewer and future Reality Television Star

No comments:

Post a Comment