Friday, July 24, 2009

Tap Handles


I realize that my posting has been rather sporadic lately. I certainly have had ample time to so so. I have been somewhat disgusted with myself that my blog has turned into a journal of "useless information" (thanks Mick). I have worked a few "night jobs" the last few weeks and it has been hot as hell and my old BBQ competition team once again won in the Annual Hempstead Watermelon BBQ Cooking Contest. The Mrs The Third and I had the chance to visit some of our old friends last week and I must admit the experience was bittersweet.


This started as a beer blog and dammit I need to veer back on course. I need to stop detailing the circus life of my (what is turning out to be) part time job with the Power Load. Additionally stories about my feelings and favorite sports teams are pretty sappy I suppose. I need to focus on the quest for the golden liquid staff of life.


I have two son in laws. Both of them are special to me (in their own way). My first one (the one who joined the family first) is my granddaughter's (Little Cat) daddy. He actually is a good man but he is not as intellectually developed as I am sure one day he will be. I admire his child like qualities yet he is a good and loving husband to his wife (my daughter who still has no official TBC nickname). The past few months has required that he grow up a lot and he is do quite well at it.


My second son in law, The Jim is (as I have cited in previous blogs) far and away the smartest person I have ever met. He is actually the person who inspired me to begin TBC. He too is a good and loving husband to his wife, The Prodigy.


Upon returning from vi sting with our friends last Saturday we returned home to find a package addressed to me. Inside was a tee shirt. At first The Mrs. The Third began to berate me for purchasing yet another tee shirt. I literally have over a hundred now. What I found was a custom made shirt that said on the front "The Brew Chronicles - Quenching Your Thirst For Knowledge" Also on the front of the shirt are numerous pictures of beer logos that have found their way on my blogs and centered among them is my family crest. On the back of the shirt is the address to this blog and a Celtic cross with what looks like a beer mug inside of it.

The shirt really is an inspired work of art and I am very impressed with it. It was my father's day gift from The Prodigy and The Jim and it was the idea and brainchild project of The Jim. It has been a long time since I have received a gift that has been as special as this has been. Now if I can get my "crappy art" I will be a happy man. I plan on wearing it this evening as The Mrs The Third and I step into O'Brien's for a weekly three "happy hour" pints.


Speaking of O'Brien's, I must admit that little place is becoming a pretty good "beer bar". Their selection is continuing to improve. They still have not truly bit the bullet and tapped a real I.P.A., but they are certainly on the right tract. They will be soon pouring # 9 from Magic Hat. They will be one of only a few select places in Texas that will be doing so. a few months ago I brought back a couple of bottles for them to sample and now within a few days they will have the beer on tap. Actually I have recommended several other beers for them to tap. They have followed my suggestions several times and each has been very successful for them.

I began thinking the other day what other beers I would love to see on tap at my favorite pub.

Here is my list. I will actually make a copy of it and give it to Ryan (one of the owners of the pub)
I submit this list with only two criteria.

a. There is or possibly is, a cult following of the beer

b. The beer is actually good



1. Yuengling Lager

2. any beer from Bell Brewery

3. any beer from Schlafly Brewery

4. Moose Drool Brown Ale

5. Red Trolley ale

6. any beer from Abita Brewing

7. Firestone Walker Double Barrel Ale (awesome beer)

8. any beer from Alaskan Brewery

9. any beer from New Glarus Brewery (Spotted Cow or Flying Squirrel)

10. Smuttynose Brown Dog Ale

11. any beer from Flying Dog Brewery

12. any beer from Odell Brewery (Their 90 Shilling and IPA are both awesome)

13. any beer from Flying Fish Brewery

14. Goose Island 312 (what I consider one of the best wheat beers I have ever had)

15. Goose Island Honker Ale

16, Widmer Brother's Drifter Ale

17. any beer from Allagash Brewing (preferably their whit beer)

18. any beer from Hair of the Dog Brewery (Fred or Blue Dot would be my favs)

19. any beer from Uncle Billy's Brewery (I like Hell in Keller)

20. Pearl (Triple X's for Texas)

I will be leaving Sunday to drive up to Minnesota for about a week. I am looking forward to some Scape Goat and Moose Droll as well as other cool beers I have not had in a while.


I will be taking my blogging machine with me and I will attempt to write a few lines or two.


....don't you know,



The Third





















1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked the shirt. I can't take credit for the idea ... the concept was all your daughter.

    I just did the little bit of graphic design (as well as a good deal of what I'm sure is copyright infringement).

    ReplyDelete